Skip to main content

Burrell Traction Engine- Door Hinge and other work.


 Burrell Traction Engine - Door Hinge and other bits


It has been a while since I posted an update but work carries on, I didn't have much to show still faffing with the door and names.
However, the door hinge was easier than I thought, after cutting it out and careful filling I simply bent it around a length of silver steel as used for the hinge pin.


I did have problems with the angle of the door on the outer edge, as any angle causes the hinge to not sit flat at the ends. This has been rectified partly by machining the outer edge to 4 degrees but it is still working progress.

Other Works.

In the shed is an oxyacetylene set I bought years ago from a car boot sale and hardly used.
I was informed that bronze brazing is one way of welding cast iron parts and so with this in mind, I'm going to renew the perished rubber hoses and use this in anger for the first time.

The first job is to potentially weld (Braze) the towing bracket onto the perch casting with perhaps just 1 fixing screw to hold it whilst I weld it. (Photo to follow) When I have practiced a lot and have the technique under my belt.


  

Some of the tricky castings


Some of the castings are really troublesome to hold but a flash of inspiration I found this picture on the internet and this is how I intend machining the fork. At least next week I feel I can hopefully manage a bit more progress finally!.
  

Next week here and I managed to replicate the above machining and get a good setup.
 I intend making the bronze bush the fork runs in so the shaft has been left 1mm oversized for the time being until the other machining has been completed.

 Some of the other castings in various stages of just cleaned up or part machined.
Work continues next week on the front fork then I plan to start the yoke axle and cross-pin...
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur...

Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Traction engines.

 Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Steam Road Miniatures. (Pictures from Saturday 1/11/25)  Bridgnorth Mini Gala: End of Season Steam Inspiration Bridgnorth once again marked the close of the running season with its Miniature Steam Gala , a compact but characterful gathering of miniature road vehicles, steam lorries, and traction engines . The event has become a highlight for enthusiasts, and this year’s display was every bit as enjoyable as before. My attendance was unplanned — much like the previous year — but that seems to be part of the charm. What began as an impromptu visit quickly turned into another opportunity to watch a fine collection of engines in steam. The station car park was once again transformed into a working yard of miniature traction engines, all hissing, chuffing, and radiating warmth against the chill of early November. It’s a real credit to the owners and crews who take the trouble to bring their engines out at this time of year. Keeping steam up in unp...

Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023.

  Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023. This year’s Model Engineers Show 2023 was a huge success! All four days of the show were fantastic with exhibitors and visitors alike enjoying plenty of opportunities to purchase items, learn and explore the very latest in machinery tools and model engineering. The 2 exhibition halls were abuzz with vibrancy, excitement and anticipation. I went with a usual shopping list, and a few parts that I had organised from suppliers to take to the show for me for collection and postage saving opportunity. Centre piece if the show for me, a huge amount of work in this engine and the builder, sadly no longer with us, only finished it last year.   A fantastic selection of Loco's on display and also a good number of Traction engines both engines in steam on the parade field, but also a number of static models in side. It appears this year whilst there were still a few suppliers missing, there were a good number of static displays to improve t...