Skip to main content

Gears and Covid Part 3..... And some other bits.

 

Gears and Covid Part 3.... And some other bits.




The 2nd shaft gear was finally complete after quite a few passes round all 69 teeth. Here its shown with a quick coat of red oxide to protect the inner surface. Only remains the mating gear which is slightly bigger in diameter to be started.  


The main reason for finishing one of the large gears was to progress the drilling of the horn-plates for the shaft tubes. I wanted to be sure of the dimension for the hole centres using my gears rather than trying to modify it later.

It appears to be ok but I think I will still make a location spigot for the large gear, fitted into a smaller hole in the horn-plate for a test, so that the hole can be made larger  (and ) / or offset if needed after.     

The Next easy job will be the bolts required to hold the bearing housing onto the plate followed by some holes used for some threaded hex rod in the positions of the back head bolts.

I will then end up with a box similar to what I started with with my first engine. (See below) Only 3 times bigger !!

I'm not sure why I really decided to start another one I think Covid 19 was to blame !!



Minnie Traction engine 29/06/07 15 Years ago !!->

The one above will be some time until it looks like the one to the right but that is the plan for this year. Reduce the shaft tubes to the correct boiler width as confirmed from 2 boiler makers as the finished size of the fire box is 6 - 1/8",  the fire box is 6" the stays are 1/16" each side.

In other news the welder I have been messing with seems to work! 

I have sorted out the Co2 gas regulator (ebay £9.99 SH) and after some practising I should hopefully be able to make gear guards, tender sides etc. 

As my son is a welder he had first go and the results were very good, not on par with what he is use to from the TIG set at work, but up to the job for what I need. 

The first real job for this is going to be making a box section frame for cutting key ways using a hydraulic car jack and broach. Essentially like a harbour press but home made and potentially designed to be able to take it to pieces when no longer required. 


Last item for mentioning I have decided to make a simple gear depthing tool. 

This was described in the Minnie Constriction book as a simple way of setting the gear mesh clearance. As this worked well on the other engine, I decided to make a bigger version of the same tool at a fixed distance of 122mm with the option of making one end a small slot for adjustment.




This is instead of drilling the horn plates, as by way for a test, then using this flat bar as the drilling guide. Photo to follow when it has been completed.


It was found that even after an amount of deburring and checking that the mesh became tight in a couple of spots when the gears are rotated, and it may be that I need to cut the teeth a little bit deeper but only by a small amount (say 0.004"). I haven't made a final decision on this yet as it carries a risk in getting the gear set back up on the miller.   

 I got covid so progress has all but stopped for a while until I'm back fully fit!!!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Burrell progress and Welland steam Show 2023 Report

 Welland steam Show 2023 Report..... Welland Steam Show (Upton-upon-Severn July 28th-30th  2023). The show as usual was well attended. I'm happy to report the numbers looked better than perhaps some of the traders were expecting. Maybe the cancelled years, due to Covid, have inspired the next generation of Model Engineers. It certainly looked like there was no shortage of money changing hands for tools.  The show boasted 37 miniatures and 99 full size engines, along with a huge number of commercials, cars, bikes, tanks and military vehicles and displays. This time again, like last year there was the heavy haulage arena, which was fascinating to watch, as long as you could keep the coal ash out of your eyes :-)  I can imagine the rising fuel costs to move large machines, but this has not stopped them from attending this year. Thank you to all the organisers and engine owners, both big and small another fab year!! I actually spent quite some time there wandering about, having arrived
1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur

Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023.

  Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023. This year’s Model Engineers Show 2023 was a huge success! All four days of the show were fantastic with exhibitors and visitors alike enjoying plenty of opportunities to purchase items, learn and explore the very latest in machinery tools and model engineering. The 2 exhibition halls were abuzz with vibrancy, excitement and anticipation. I went with a usual shopping list, and a few parts that I had organised from suppliers to take to the show for me for collection and postage saving opportunity. Centre piece if the show for me, a huge amount of work in this engine and the builder, sadly no longer with us, only finished it last year.   A fantastic selection of Loco's on display and also a good number of Traction engines both engines in steam on the parade field, but also a number of static models in side. It appears this year whilst there were still a few suppliers missing, there were a good number of static displays to improve the show in