Skip to main content

Its a Burrell, or starting to look like One.

 It's a Burrell, or starting to look like one.


Hopefully you're not getting too fed up of pictures of gears, I know I am of cutting the teeth. Early morning starts before work, evenings and even some lunch times during the hybrid working days. but all the fun of teeth are coming to a close as this is probably the last gear I can cut. Leaving just the final drive gear for another day, well I don't think I can cut it, you can see how big they are getting and the size of my machine, the diff I'm going to need a bigger shed!!


     As suggested in my last post, the gear change bracket did turn up in the post, a nice new casting. Just requiring a bit of squaring up and drilling and tapping a few holes, so not too difficult to get done.

Also exciting this weekend as I write this will be Welland the best show we attend and that always facilitates the chatting with other owners about their engines, and more importantly talking about my 1 1/2 engines.

As progress will slow up I've decided to include a show report (to come) as by way of a distraction from a machining process, until I have some real progress to actually talk about.

So as the weather has changed again for the better (as its always blistering hot Welland weekend) apart from 1 year when it was a mud bath and ended up cancelled. 

Picture below just to remind us how far we are by way of a mock-up picture taken end of last year.








Welland  -  Saturday 30th July 2022

As suggested above I got the customary  Bush hat out and bruised the dust of for another year.   

This was actually a pictures from a couple of years ago but me, my wife, and the hat is the same so no need for any more grey hairs in the shot.

The show - Welland 2022

As promised a report :- We hotelled nearby on Friday at Upton-on-Severn, and managed to get a lift Saturday for an early start. The intention was to stay late for the fireworks, (taxi permitting) but essentially they're just fireworks. Well, 10 Litres of the thumper cider later minus what the wasps drank, and at least 64 photos taken, we had a great day!!   I obtained some new cutting tool bits for my stock and also a free diamond tip one to try. I also had a long chat with the the owner of the War Department Aveling & Porter, who incidentally is also the owner of Bridport foundry where my castings are coming from. Small world!! (Photo Below).

The number of exhibits and standard of presentation was commendable, and the number of people attending the show, at least on the Saturday, was the most  I have ever seen at this show in over 10 years of attending. Hopefully this secures the show for a few more years, and makes up for the 2 years missed (covid) and the bad weather of 3 years ago when it was sadly cancelled 4 hours into the Sunday morning, following the worst rain I have seen!

A show of this size, even being there all day, is virtually impossible to get round, and in fact
some we intentionally missed out because of time. We did however have a look at the model tent, tractor pulling and the new item the 'heavy haulage play pen' as they call it at the Great Dorset Show, as well as trade stands, cake stalls, the working area up the hill and finally the Bar.

Looking forward to next year already, and the Model engineers show later this year. Also we have a show with the Jensen at Stoke Prior which is also a steam show that we are showing the car at.   
  



 Probably other show reports on Traction Talk web site, but this is my personal experience.

The other engine with the nice weather at the weekend, the Minnie was tested with some proper Welsh Dry Steam Coal I was given for free. Took a bit more patients to get it fired up, and even a small amount of house coal to keep it going but from the photo's below you can see it was a success.




Below is the most recent photo of my gear in progress.  As usual stay safe, make chips, enjoy what your doing.  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Burrell progress and Welland steam Show 2023 Report

 Welland steam Show 2023 Report..... Welland Steam Show (Upton-upon-Severn July 28th-30th  2023). The show as usual was well attended. I'm happy to report the numbers looked better than perhaps some of the traders were expecting. Maybe the cancelled years, due to Covid, have inspired the next generation of Model Engineers. It certainly looked like there was no shortage of money changing hands for tools.  The show boasted 37 miniatures and 99 full size engines, along with a huge number of commercials, cars, bikes, tanks and military vehicles and displays. This time again, like last year there was the heavy haulage arena, which was fascinating to watch, as long as you could keep the coal ash out of your eyes :-)  I can imagine the rising fuel costs to move large machines, but this has not stopped them from attending this year. Thank you to all the organisers and engine owners, both big and small another fab year!! I actually spent quite some time there wandering about, having arrived
1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur

Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023.

  Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023. This year’s Model Engineers Show 2023 was a huge success! All four days of the show were fantastic with exhibitors and visitors alike enjoying plenty of opportunities to purchase items, learn and explore the very latest in machinery tools and model engineering. The 2 exhibition halls were abuzz with vibrancy, excitement and anticipation. I went with a usual shopping list, and a few parts that I had organised from suppliers to take to the show for me for collection and postage saving opportunity. Centre piece if the show for me, a huge amount of work in this engine and the builder, sadly no longer with us, only finished it last year.   A fantastic selection of Loco's on display and also a good number of Traction engines both engines in steam on the parade field, but also a number of static models in side. It appears this year whilst there were still a few suppliers missing, there were a good number of static displays to improve the show in