Skip to main content

Burrell Traction Engine & My new Vertex Rotary Table purchase


 Vertex Rotary Table purchase...

Well, here it is, and I am pleased. This is after a good hour or so of cleaning up, but the results speak for them self. It is the proper Vertex original, yes it does have the 3 tapped M5 holes for the dividing plate mounting so we were lucky. The next mission is to buy the remaining parts to convert this for dividing use and then after Christmas the differential gears can be started.  

  • By comparison to the rotary table I already have, it is similar in size as its only about 10mm higher and is the same overall diameter. This being important as my machine is of limited size.
  • It has the 4 slots, not all are like this, some are 3 but as the differential mounting slots for the gears are opposite each other a 4-slot table is essential.
  • It has the ability to be mounted vertical and this means a smaller footprint on the machine, and with a horizontally mounted cutter in the vertical head allows the work piece to be as big as 6" without the need for riser blocks as I previously had to use.
  • Horizontally mounted, the work piece can be larger than the table which will probably be the way the differential outer teeth are produced. (Photo below to show what I mean) 
 


Not my machine or diff but as way of example of my idea. This is a 21" diameter final drive gear for a 6" scale Burrell traction Engine, with 124 teeth, 6DP Using a Vertex 14" rotary table, and a homemade division plate, the casting includes the winch drum, and weighs approx 100 KG. Mine is half this size and less than a 1/5 of the weight.


My mock setup to check that's it fits. I still need to order the dividing plates and plunger but these I'm having for Christmas. It's still not decided how I'm going to clamp it and ensure its centred correctly, the current plan is still to get this as finished as I can and park this but after painting it in red oxide.

  I decided to buy another gear cutter this will be for the 2 diff outer gears fingers crossed it is the correct cutter another Christmas present to myself. (More to follow).
The cutter had an issue with the post so hopefully cutter number 2 will have more luck !! 

But as this is for 46 Tooth gear and the dividing plate set comes with a 23 Hole plate B Plate – 21,23,27,29,31,33. We should have no trouble in being able to make a start on this in the new year.

Last Item for this year I decided to attend a local Model Engineering night to see what goes on, and if joining would help me out in some way by having other builders to talk to. They seemed a friendly bunch and some thinking over Christmas needed.

Diff Parked!!  

Well not quite I have made a cunning mandrel to mount it on for machining the OD to the correct size ready for the gear cutting in the new year, now its parked 12/12/2022. Correct diameter and thickness for the teeth, annoyingly there was a small pin hole in the outer edge (about 4 mm) but I feel a tooth gap can be machined on this hole so I intend aligning and cutting this first. 

Have a great Christmas, relax and next year start a fresh again with the Burrell. 

Happy Christmas... Stephen.



 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Burrell progress and Welland steam Show 2023 Report

 Welland steam Show 2023 Report..... Welland Steam Show (Upton-upon-Severn July 28th-30th  2023). The show as usual was well attended. I'm happy to report the numbers looked better than perhaps some of the traders were expecting. Maybe the cancelled years, due to Covid, have inspired the next generation of Model Engineers. It certainly looked like there was no shortage of money changing hands for tools.  The show boasted 37 miniatures and 99 full size engines, along with a huge number of commercials, cars, bikes, tanks and military vehicles and displays. This time again, like last year there was the heavy haulage arena, which was fascinating to watch, as long as you could keep the coal ash out of your eyes :-)  I can imagine the rising fuel costs to move large machines, but this has not stopped them from attending this year. Thank you to all the organisers and engine owners, both big and small another fab year!! I actually spent quite some time there wandering about, having arrived
1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur

Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023.

  Midlands Model Engineers Exhibition 2023. This year’s Model Engineers Show 2023 was a huge success! All four days of the show were fantastic with exhibitors and visitors alike enjoying plenty of opportunities to purchase items, learn and explore the very latest in machinery tools and model engineering. The 2 exhibition halls were abuzz with vibrancy, excitement and anticipation. I went with a usual shopping list, and a few parts that I had organised from suppliers to take to the show for me for collection and postage saving opportunity. Centre piece if the show for me, a huge amount of work in this engine and the builder, sadly no longer with us, only finished it last year.   A fantastic selection of Loco's on display and also a good number of Traction engines both engines in steam on the parade field, but also a number of static models in side. It appears this year whilst there were still a few suppliers missing, there were a good number of static displays to improve the show in