Skip to main content

End of year Roundup. Year 5

 End of year Roundup (5 year's In)



Well after 5 years, and its nearly Christmas! I decided to assemble all the bits I have made in the last 5 years for a end of year roundup, this is the current situation of where we are at. My mother looking on from behind I have to thank because some of this is normally sat on her dining room table, and has done for at least the last 3 to 4 years. 

On my Previous post there was a nice picture of the lifting links that I was most pleased with. However it appears they are not long enough and this is a confirmed mistake in the drawings. It means they need to be extended by about 1/8" or so, the plan is to do a cut and shut with the silver solder rather than committing to making new ones at this time.

Time will tell if I'm happy with this arrangement or if new ones are to be started, below is my list of faults so far:-

  • The front locking pin cannot easily be removed past the smoke box door.
  • The flywheel is very close to the winding drum almost catching another fault.
  • The lifting links are too short to clear the expansion link. (1/8" longer is needed to miss).    



 

Driver eye view from behind, obviously the tender is a future part that needs making sheets of brass or steel this to be decided and formers or laser cut blanks. All in a good end of the year and as the weather is getting colder in the workshop progress normally slows. 

Aside for Christmas I'm having an expensive welding mast, an ASAB Savage V40 mask for all my MIG and grinding need's and hopefully a few castings if I'm lucky.  

                    Until Next month, stay safe, make swarf and be the best you can be, Happy Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur...

Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Traction engines.

 Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Steam Road Miniatures. (Pictures from Saturday 1/11/25)  Bridgnorth Mini Gala: End of Season Steam Inspiration Bridgnorth once again marked the close of the running season with its Miniature Steam Gala , a compact but characterful gathering of miniature road vehicles, steam lorries, and traction engines . The event has become a highlight for enthusiasts, and this year’s display was every bit as enjoyable as before. My attendance was unplanned — much like the previous year — but that seems to be part of the charm. What began as an impromptu visit quickly turned into another opportunity to watch a fine collection of engines in steam. The station car park was once again transformed into a working yard of miniature traction engines, all hissing, chuffing, and radiating warmth against the chill of early November. It’s a real credit to the owners and crews who take the trouble to bring their engines out at this time of year. Keeping steam up in unp...

Some BSA Bike messing a-bout's

  Some BSA Bike messing a-bout's Aside from making the traction engine, model railways, ammeter radio, snooker, computing, playing Ukulele in a band and a host of other activities. We have been rust-orating and old bike that belonged to my father. Basically it hadn't run for say 45+ years we bought a few bits sorted a stuck exhaust valve and bingo after some effort it started. The plan it to do my CBT test and A licence so we could take part in next years "Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride". More to follow if this happens but a few picture's of the progress below shows the extent of the restoration.   Until Next month, stay safe, make swarf and be the best you can be!