Skip to main content

3" Burrell motion work

 

3" Burrell motion work


Work started a few weeks ago on the weigh-shaft bracket, a tricky casting to deal with. I made a start by centre drilling both ends for the shaft and then made up a difficult setup in the milling machine to try to hold it square for drilling horizontally. This worked to a certain degree, basically the length means any miss alignment is amplified massively but within a reasonable tolerance I completed it. 

I was then able to turn one end a bit, to stop it looking like an egg. I'm reasonably happy with it, certainly there are probably more out there that look like mine, and maybe some in the bin. I guess if a complete disaster happened it would not be too much trouble to cut the casting up and machine a truly round centre tube and silver solder it back onto the original, to save the day as it not a cheap casting to mess up.    
  
The alignment process prior to drilling 
Often I believe the setup's are as important as the results, because for an archive history of how the part can be tacked, and the final result speaks volumes. Also utilises a few workshop items not commonly used in the machining process and aids my memory in the future of how i did something and did it successfully fit on the miller.

(Right) A photo I have been using for reference purpose thank you to the builder of this engine. 


Until Next month, stay safe, make swarf and be the best you can be. Steve!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur...

Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Traction engines.

 Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Steam Road Miniatures. (Pictures from Saturday 1/11/25)  Bridgnorth Mini Gala: End of Season Steam Inspiration Bridgnorth once again marked the close of the running season with its Miniature Steam Gala , a compact but characterful gathering of miniature road vehicles, steam lorries, and traction engines . The event has become a highlight for enthusiasts, and this year’s display was every bit as enjoyable as before. My attendance was unplanned — much like the previous year — but that seems to be part of the charm. What began as an impromptu visit quickly turned into another opportunity to watch a fine collection of engines in steam. The station car park was once again transformed into a working yard of miniature traction engines, all hissing, chuffing, and radiating warmth against the chill of early November. It’s a real credit to the owners and crews who take the trouble to bring their engines out at this time of year. Keeping steam up in unp...

Some BSA Bike messing a-bout's

  Some BSA Bike messing a-bout's Aside from making the traction engine, model railways, ammeter radio, snooker, computing, playing Ukulele in a band and a host of other activities. We have been rust-orating and old bike that belonged to my father. Basically it hadn't run for say 45+ years we bought a few bits sorted a stuck exhaust valve and bingo after some effort it started. The plan it to do my CBT test and A licence so we could take part in next years "Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride". More to follow if this happens but a few picture's of the progress below shows the extent of the restoration.   Until Next month, stay safe, make swarf and be the best you can be!