Skip to main content

Tender thoughts and materials

 Tender thoughts and materials...


It’s been a while since my last update, mainly due to a few car shows that I’ve attended with my classic car, but also because progress in the workshop has been slow due to health.

However, in an effort to keep something moving, I did make a start on the brass angle section needed for the tender.

I looked into the possibility of buying some suitable angle section and, of course, the cost involved. In the end, I decided that as I already had a length of square brass material, I’d have a go at making it myself!

The advantage of doing it this way is that I can achieve whatever thickness I require, rather than being restricted to the limited sizes that are available.


(Progress on angles) 8 in total were made of different lengths.



Quite a bit of swarf resulted from producing these, but I feel it was worth the effort and the mess. These are the internal supports for the tender, with the idea being to have the sides and wrapper laser cut. This is something I have ordered to collect at the Midlands Model Engineering Show, so this work is to get the material ready.

An attempt has been made at the water filler chute, and the lid and hinge arrangement is currently being looked at. More to follow on this, but suffice to say we are still working on the engine—it hasn't ended up on eBay yet!

The boiler has had no further thought either. I’m still hopeful of finding a future bargain, or perhaps a lottery win, so that I can place an order for a copper masterpiece.


Feel free to leave a comment !!     stephen.meredith1@gmail.com

If you have any questions while reading these blog updates—I'm always happy to reply.






Until Next month, stay safe, make swarf and be the best you can be.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1" Minnie Traction Engine By Stephen Meredith   Background Working Progress (Gears) Front End Parts Following the completion of a small marine steam engine "Trojan Engine", I decided to tackle a larger project. Having visited various shows and the model engineers Exhibition, I decided to buy the Construction book for building the popular 1" scale 'Minnie' traction engine. The initial workshop experience was limited but keen to learn, and research has enabled me to get it this far. A s can be seen, this is basically finished well almost, it steams, and runs well a few tweaks are needed but tweaks don’t make piles of swarf. The intention was to show the engine and run it, at rallies but what I really wanted was a capable engine that could pull an adult or (me) on a field. This engine was, therefore, a stepping stone to be able to tackle the engine I wanted. After research, I bought a set of drawings for the Plastow 3” Bur...

Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Traction engines.

 Bridgnorth Mini-Gala Featuring Steam Road Miniatures. (Pictures from Saturday 1/11/25)  Bridgnorth Mini Gala: End of Season Steam Inspiration Bridgnorth once again marked the close of the running season with its Miniature Steam Gala , a compact but characterful gathering of miniature road vehicles, steam lorries, and traction engines . The event has become a highlight for enthusiasts, and this year’s display was every bit as enjoyable as before. My attendance was unplanned — much like the previous year — but that seems to be part of the charm. What began as an impromptu visit quickly turned into another opportunity to watch a fine collection of engines in steam. The station car park was once again transformed into a working yard of miniature traction engines, all hissing, chuffing, and radiating warmth against the chill of early November. It’s a real credit to the owners and crews who take the trouble to bring their engines out at this time of year. Keeping steam up in unp...

Some BSA Bike messing a-bout's

  Some BSA Bike messing a-bout's Aside from making the traction engine, model railways, ammeter radio, snooker, computing, playing Ukulele in a band and a host of other activities. We have been rust-orating and old bike that belonged to my father. Basically it hadn't run for say 45+ years we bought a few bits sorted a stuck exhaust valve and bingo after some effort it started. The plan it to do my CBT test and A licence so we could take part in next years "Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride". More to follow if this happens but a few picture's of the progress below shows the extent of the restoration.   Until Next month, stay safe, make swarf and be the best you can be!